Monday, June 8, 2009

Sequential Logic

Having lived in France for some time now, I've come to expect the illogical in many things. However, due to my OCD issues, I find things still very hard to accept.

One of these things is the department numbers. No, not like Macys or Bloomingdale phone numbers. No, not like, the customer service department numbers. I mean the French "departements" - which are the different areas, sort of like the states in the US. It always gnawed at me how there does not appear to be any logic in how they are numbered. Now, I don't know why it bothered me so, because if you think about it, there are no seemingly logical rationale on how the state zip codes are numbered in the US (New York starting with a "1", New Jersey with a "0", California with a "9", etc). But I've focused on the department numbers here for some time, I think because you see them everywhere on cars (all license plates carry the first two department numbers) and I've been asking any willing counterpart (there are few and far in between, btw) the logic.

For example, the zip code for the department I live in starts with a "35". The zip code for Paris starts with "75". The department right north of us is a "50". The department right below us is a "49". I really thought the French had lost it with the numbering. See map below (click twice to enlarge)



Then we had some friends visit a couple of weeks ago. We were looking at the girls' collection of fridge magnets, some of which are to put together a map of France using department pieces. I laid out my usual schpiel about the illogical way the departments are numbered. And lo and behold, my friend had an answer! They are numbered alphabetically! Wow! Who would have thunk?

So the department of Ain is 01, Aisne is 02, Alliers is 03... so and so on, logically, sequentially and alphabetically! I was blown away. I see now that I have underestimated the French. Well I still think it would be more logical to number them geographically, but then I would be nitpicking, wouldn't I?

So there you have it - one of my first instances understanding the French system - and I partially approve.

1 comment:

SUE said...

Hi RAE,

This is an interesting piece... It does prove the saying that "You learning something new everyday!". Hahaha!

Sue