Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Day We Had Fun with Food Coloring (otherwise known as Hanaya's birthday)



Aren't those frosting colors magnificent?

PeeWee and I discovered food coloring. I wanted to make colored frosting for some cupcakes that I was baking for Hana's birthday party and I had PeeWee help me mix the butter and sugar, since my wrist is still shot and I don't use an electric mixer (nothing philosophical about that, by the way - I just don't own one and haven't got around to buying one). Well, once PeeWee saw what I intended to do with food coloring, it got all v serious. So serious in fact that when guests started showing up we didn't even bother greeting the parents - we just stayed in the kitchen concocting different colors! PeeWee even managed what we coined a "tutti frutti" color - a beautiful swirl of bubble gum pink in a sea of lavender.

The party was quite hectic - we had way too many girls in the house. We have quite a large apartment, but once the throng spread out, it was hard to get everyone in the same room at the same time for games, for crafts, for cake, etc. It was also hard not to marvel at how much girls scream - for virtually every single thing. At times it was positively deafening to hear the girls ohh, aah, nooooo, and oh-la-la at maximum volume every few seconds.

It was fun though - the girls played Human Bingo, Ape-Man-Girl (a variation of rock-paper-scissors), Line-up (a game supposedly played in silence - but yes, here again the girls proved infinitely capable of making much noise without actual words), and decorated a wooden wall hanging thingy with glitter stickers and markers.


I don't have a picture of the birthday girl by herself (with so many girls around, an impossibility for a solo portrait) and I am wary of posting pics of other people's kids here, so I cropped this one picture as best as I can:


Happy Birthday Baby!

No comments: