Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beware the .... Herisson...


For a couple of weeks now I've developed this utterly strong dependency on something called les Herissons. "Herisson" is French for hedgehogs - and the version I'm hopelessly hooked on is the candy version - more specifically, a piece of half-moon shaped marshmallow topped with rice puffs and a sliver of caramel, all of it enveloped in milk chocolate. It's not anything fancy, they come in a bag of maybe 12 for 2 euros 50 centimes.

Ah but they are very addicting. I've been watching my sugar quite successfully ever since my two encounters with gestational diabetes, but all that has gone out the window the day I discovered the Herissons. I bought it because Hana wanted it. I started having one after dinner - one little piece, so I even felt pretty guilt-free. Then I began to double my pleasure by having two after dinner. Then two after lunch too. After a couple of days I found myself jittery thinking that I need to make a Herisson run and now it's pretty much become my standard after-meal treat. Hana does not even eat it anymore (all the more for me!). I found myself worrying the other day that I should have to bring several packs of these to NY this summer (though I would risk them all melting) because I am not sure if there is an equivalent candy stateside!

I do go in and out of phases with food, so I hope this is just a passing fancy. I do remember the days in high school when I had to had a Skor bar everyday (they are so good that my sister was caught shoplifting it at the tender age of 7). Then my freshman year in college for about two months I remember getting a Snickers bar every night before catching the Simpsons - yes, every night. While I was working at Booz Allen, I had hummus for dinner for about 7 weeks straight. So for the sake of my blood sugar level, I hope this is just in passing - else I will have to go cold-turkey one of these days!

Yum!

No comments: