Monday, June 22, 2009

Les Fetes des Parents

June this year hosted both Mother's AND Father's Day in France. Usually Mother's Day falls on the last Sunday of May (see previous post) but since this year Pentecost fell on that same Sunday, Mother's Day was placed on the first Sunday of June. Father's Day was on the third Sunday of June, just as in the US (whoa! For once!)

French children make crafts for both moms and dads at school, and they also always learn a poem by heart, to be recited to the beaming parents back at home (not sure they do this in the US? Hana did not in her nursery days in Forest Hills, nor in England). This starts at the pre-pre-pre-K level (age 3). It was quite amazing to hear Manolee recite a poem last year and I was no less amazed this year. As gifts, I received a cardboard frame with a picture of me (as drawn by Manolee) and a felt necklace from Hanaya.

What I loved also was a series of essays that Hana had to write in her English class - she had to answer a question and illustrate her answer. Here is one example (you can click to enlarge):



I had a lovely Mother's Day weekend in that I did not cook at all - it was quite a treat not to worry about the next meal. Granted, the Sunday dinner was at McDonald's (which was packed, by the way) but it was nice nonetheless. PeeWee also surprised me with quite a lovely gift! Maybe he's been reading my rants here...?

For Father's Day, Hana had made a nifty man-bracelet and Manolee had decorated a clay pot.

Lovely to see the girls so proud of their handiwork! Thank you, my babies!

No comments: