Friday, February 18, 2011

Island Specialty

Some things are just different on the island.

One of the things I started to notice right away was that the local people here like to express themselves by plastering words on the front or back windshields of their cars. This is somewhat akin to bumper stickers in the US, some of which can be quite hilarious, puzzling or rather ridiculous themselves (I've seen lots of "My Kid is an Honor Student!" of late). Here, people with religious bends cite biblical quotes. For some people it seems to be a way to self-proclaim or self-affirm (cars that say, for example, "Landlord", "Dread Man" or "Spice Girl"). Some seem downright poetic (a simple "IMAGINE"), while some appear to lay down bossy, albeit seemingly random commands ("Do Not Slide"). Some people just seem to take a pi** or are just mad at the world ("The Middle Finger"). They can be found in English, French, and Creole. One thing you won't find, however, is a non-local person at the wheel of such cars (i.e., people from the mainland France, US, Holland). This seems to be, at least to my eagle-eye observations to this point, a uniquely "island" phenomenon.

I've been taking pictures whenever I can. Here are some to start you off. I suspect I will have quite a gallery of such pictures in the coming months, as cars like these are quite common! Sometimes I find myself without a camera and I bemoan the lost opportunity to capture this part of the island culture...

Here is one that seems to capture some happy-go-lucky driver:


Here is one that seems to embody a rather grumpy driver:


Sometimes just a short indication of the driver's (or a loved one of the car owner, I guess) astrological sign:


Sometimes it can get rather verbose (we will have to come back to this car on a later post):


Stay tuned for more!

No comments: