Thursday, February 4, 2010

Things to do When on Bedrest #2: Delegate

I don't think it's due to any exaggerated sense of self when I say that my way is the best way when it comes to things around my own house. With a busy, stressed, work-preoccupied husband and two children under the age of 10, I do believe that it should be my way or the highway.

So it's really hard for me to delegate. I read once about a woman who said she has a definite philosophy for stacking the dishwasher. It was like meeting a soul mate. I also have firm immutable opinions on hanging up laundry in a certain way (no, we in the boondocks of France do not have a dryer - no, actually lots of people do, but our arriere-cuisine is not big enough), stacking pots and pans a certain way, and... well, you get my drift.

The first thing I have to do in the morning nowadays is to take my medicine. And since I am supposed to eat with it, and my foot hurts after about 2 minutes of standing up, I just plop myself down at the kitchen table and let PeeWee handle breakfast for the kids. And this is a really hard thing for me, just watching him haplessly go about the kitchen - it's all I can do to stop myself from giving him unsolicited advice on the most efficient way to order his tasks. For example, I would think the first thing a normal forward-thinking person would do is to take the butter out of the fridge. No, this occurs to him only at the last minute, while he take the bread out of the toaster. I would also think that while the bread is in the toaster, he could fetch the nutella and the chocolate powder (yes, breakfast of the champion at the Merlet household) and take out the knives and the spoons. No, there is not an iota of multi-tasking urge in his mind. And almost every morning, he forgets Manolee's own preference of not having her cereal go soggy and he heaps her bowl with it to the rim. I should go easy on him since he is tired and stressed and I don't need to add to that, but I just about have to muzzle myself not to say anything.

I HAVE spoken up when I saw unspeakable insane acts, such as using a spoon to spread nutella (just inefficient and a pain in the as* later when you want to clean up and you got a spoonful of nutella that you need to dispose of - because no, I don't put that stuff in my system myself), and when he left the microwave door open with the timer not reset at zero.

Thinking about it, I think he may hate my having to delegate more than I do!

No comments: