Saturday, March 19, 2011

US Market


One would think that a supermarket called US Market would cater to Americans by having shelves and aisles filled to the top with American goods. Boy was I deceived when I first set foot in there. The place is undeniably French - I would venture to say that 99% of the food/household items there are imported from mainland France.

US Market is a chain - there are maybe 4-5 stores under the same management (I believe they hold a near monopoly on the French side) and it used to be called, even more deceivingly, "US Imports".

So why call it US Market? It is certainly misleading and I am sure I'm not the only one who has walked in there expecting to find Cheetos and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, but instead running into canned Cassoulets and Petits Filous...

No comments: