Tuesday, April 7, 2009

White Hair Takes Root

While putting toothpaste on Manolee's toothbrush this morning, I glimpsed at my reflection and immediately strands of white hair came into view. I hollered at PeeWee to come extract the most visible ones.

Manolee stopped brushing her teeth and says in a very serious tone, "ma, I told you to try to not get white hair". Manolee just recently got this notion of mortality and aging (as did Hanaya at the same age, just over 4) and it's been bothering her that I am gonna be a grandma "soon". So here she is, telling me to try not to get white hair - as if she thinks the inevitable aging process can just be willed away.

Meanwhile PeeWee is not a guy to stop at just one white hair. He is just a bit OCD on these matters and he kept on grabbing another hair, then another, then another. So I tell him to stop so that I can help Manolee wash up. Manolee repeats to me, "ma, why you have so much white hair? I told you to try not to get white hair". I reply absentmindedly, "But I'm trying!" - then she really delivers the killer, with an air of authority - "By doing what? How are you trying?"

Sigh. Being yelled at by a 4 year old for not aging gracefully is not how I wanted to start my day...

No comments: