Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Operation Looming


Manolee for some time has had trouble breathing through her nose - she has been breathing through her mouth so loud at times that she is at a severe disadvantage when playing hide and seek - her breathing immediately gives her away!

The ENT we saw today took one look in her nose and then another brief look into her mouth and declared that she needed to get her "amygdales" removed.  I had never heard the term before so I was alarmed - I mean, not that I am medically trained or anything but most words I can trace back to some sort of English words or a familiar root - but amygdales just stumped me and convinced me that he was proposing some very rare and complicated operation (I asked PeeWee in the consultation room but he just dismissed me as he continued his doctor talk with the ENT guy and said, oh I'll draw you a picture later - I know, helpful, right?)

I took her back to school and announced gravely to the teacher that she needed her amygdales removed. The teacher did not look alarmed, no gasps, no oh-la-la's, so it calmed me down somewhat. Then I got home and googled the term - ok so it's a tonsilitis. Tonsilitis are quite common, right? I remember when Marcia Brady got them and that was like in the 70s, and even then she came home just fine and ate lots of ice cream and anyway medical technology must have advanced quite a bit by now, right?

She will be going under general anesthesia and that part is somewhat nerve-wrecking... but hopefully this will put an end to her labored breathing/ disturbed sleeping/ coughing-till-throwing-up/ waking up grouchiness/ etc and etc.

Manolee has no idea what is to come... but we told Hana and she is not one to hold her tongue, so I guess I have to think up a toddler-appropriate explanation soon!

No comments: