Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Bells!


I was pleasantly surprised to see in all the supermarkets that they sell chocolate eggs for Easter egg hunts. They are not very creative though - they don't sell empty plastic eggs so that you can stuff them with something other than chocolate - and thereby prevent ginormous sugar highs reminiscent of Halloween.

Anyway besides the eggs and the bunnies, all the supermarkets carried a huge selection of chocolate bells. Bells, you say? Yes, bells - les cloches. Nobody could explain to me why bells - though one friend did try, something about bells going to Rome and bringing back chocolate eggs. No, I don't think anything was lost in translation. Maybe I am provincial, growing up in mostly Jewish and Asian neighborhoods of NYC and all, but I have never heard of bells bringing Easter chocolates from Rome? (This does remind me of my freshman year at NYU when on one Spring day I kept on seeing people with ashes on their foreheads. After a while, I was convinced that a building had collapsed somewhere - only later that day did I learn that it was Ash Wednesday!)

Happy Easter!

No comments: