Monday, February 6, 2012

Off the island!


My dear friends up in the Northeast and I decided to treat ourselves to a girls-only weekend in Miami. All very last minute, as I only found out two weeks ago that my mother-in-law would be visiting us, thereby presenting herself both as a built-in babysitter and a husband-feeder.

I was excited to be off island for a few days, without having to brave the cold up further north. Miami was colder than I expected however, with gusty winds and occasional showers. It was great fun, still, to be able to just hang out with girlfriends, window shop without a kid hanging onto my leg or whining, linger over cafe con leche, and chat by the pool. And while my friends enjoyed spa treatments of deep tissue massages and pedicures, I opted for an hour long session at the CVS on Lincoln Road - it was no Target, but it was just the therapy that I needed.

Not sure what possessed me, but I also agreed to rent a bike on the last morning to ride along the beach. I hadn't been on a bike since 1997 during a backpacking trip through China. Miami Beach was slightly less intimidating and I did have fun moments on the bike, but I was glad to get them back to the rental place with all my bones still intact.

A friend of mine told me that when you live on an island, you need the means to get off the island once in a while. You are glad to leave, and then you are glad to come back. That's exactly how I felt this time around.


Good bye, Miami - till next time!

No comments: