Sunday, September 20, 2009

Progress?

I find myself going utterly frantic just walking the girls to school. The girls have a tendency (do all kids?) to look straight ahead or to look up at the sky - hence my frequent and urgent warnings "watch out!", "aaargh, look out!", "watch your foot! Your right foot! Your... oh crap"

Because, yes, it is crap, threatening to envelope our shoes every 18 steps or so. I rant about this so often but it just seems to get worse and worse. The other Sunday, there was a street "braderie" (a neighborhood yard sale) - and in the middle of the day, someone saw it fit to let his dog take a crap right in the middle of the busy pedestrian-thronged street. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET. Off in the discrete corner? Why bother? My dog wants to poop now!

So I was mildly surprised to see the following boxes pop up - one by the Lycee Emile Zola, and the other at the Parc Thabor:


Alas, my surprise and pleasure at seeing this was somewhat tempered when I realized that the boxes carried no bags whatsoever. Hmmm. Enthusiastic dog-owners emptied the boxes at first sight? City officials did not bother filling it with bags (the "why-bother, nobody-will-comply" mentality)??

Progress, it may be, albeit at a snail's pace!

No comments: