Monday, November 17, 2008

The Baguette Mystery






The mystery for me surrounding the baguette is actually how people handle them. When you buy a baguette in France, they are handed to you, usually wrapped in a tiny piece of coarse tissue paper  or in a bag - reference pictures above.

What you may have noticed is that neither method covers the entire baguette. Which means that as you carry your baguette home, it will be exposed to the elements - and to you. The number of times my coat has been covered with flour by the time I get home - well, that I can live with. But many times I have witnessed people carrying their baguettes under their armpits. Yes, in the summertime.  Why the boulangeries do not provide COMPLETE coverage for the baguettes is just beyond me.

The French also leave baguettes out on the kitchen counter or in a bread basket. I have not seen a bread box in any of the French homes that I have visited. Is that weird or is that just me?

No comments: