Friday, September 14, 2007

Germaphobia in France?

What strikes me during my many many trips to various retail stores in France is how the cashiers do not hand over your receipt and change directly to your hand - no, they have this little plastic tray on the counter and that is where these things are supposed to go. Out of habit, I always stick out my hand, expecting the slight pressure of coins and receipt in return - but NO the cashiers aptly ignore this outstretched hand and invariably drop the said coins and receipt on the tray.

Hmmmm. Am miffed by this experience, which happens over and over again. Is it that they have  germs on their hands that they do not wish to transmit to their customers (it's true, I do not see butchers or patissiers or such people using gloves anywhere! And they handle money!), or is it that they think I look suspiciously germ-ridden? Hmmmmm indeed. It's one of these local customs that takes some time getting used to.

No comments: